Long's started selling propane back in 1951 from the back door of a furniture store owned by Earl Long. Earl was in the business of selling furniture and appliances. When customers purchased stoves, they needed propane and Earl decided to install a bulk propane tank one mile north of Marlette. As the demand for propane grew, so did the need for additional propane storage. Today, the Marlette bulk plant has four bulk tanks with the capacity to hold almost 100,000 gallons.
The picture above shows one of the first bulk trucks Long's had for delivering propane to their customers.